There are many different types of gas furnaces available and the ventless gas furnace is just one of these types of furnaces. It depends entirely on what you would prefer and whether this is the type you would like to have installed in your home. The importance to decide on what you would like to install would depend on your research. You need to make some comparisons in terms of what the product is about, how it works and what its advantages are.
The ventless gas furnace does not have an outlet to exchange air with the outside, it would therefore not lose the heat as the normal gas heaters would. It is therefore more efficient than any of the other gas furnaces around although it does have its drawbacks. This heater will heat the room using its own air and this would be inside the room where it is placed, creating direct heating from the unit. It also means that it is confined to the room where it is placed. This is therefore good for zone heating and focused warmth where needed.
It is also a great unit if there is a power outage as it does not need electricity to run. It can therefore also be used as a back-up system in the instance of power outages. It is therefore highly recommended that, even though you have central heating, you should install a ventless gas furnace. You should do this especially if you live in an area where outages are a regular occurrence. Many of these furnaces are ignited by the simple push of a button and you would therefore need no matches to light it. You are able to set your heat output by using manual or thermostatic controls or you could have the option of remote controls.
How a Ventless Gas Furnace Works
In the first instance, there is no need for oxygen to assist in the operation of the ventless gas furnace. Oxygen is especially needed for combustion and this furnace does not need oxygen for combustion. There is therefore no need for any external vent or chimney. There is need for heat in every home and it is therefore necessary to get the best type of heating system for your home.
With this furnace you have:
- The circulation of the internal air, with
- No exchange with the outside air, thus making sure that the heating is efficient.
- It uses propane or other natural gases that would not emit harmless emissions into the air.
It is important to note that the ventless gas furnace has very little emissions and is therefore very beneficial. You do have to make sure, though, that you take care of it so that it can provide the best service. This means that you would have to service it regularly. By doing this you will take care of your health as well as that of the environment. You are able to install your unit anywhere you like, as you get these from small, mid-size to large models. This makes it possible for you to install it in any sized space you have available for it. You should make sure that you buy the right size in order to have the best efficient heater for your size home.
By installing a ventless gas furnace you would:
- Be installing one of the most environmental-friendly heaters because they use natural gas. It is environmentally friendly as it burns up most of the fuel it runs on.
- Not have to deal with residue or soot (as in the case of a wood burning fire), that may be harmful to the environment as well as to your family.
- Be assured that the cost efficiency could be up to 99.9 percent.
- Save on your electrical bill as a result.
- Be able to top up your fuel refills at your local convenient store.
What is also important about these types of furnaces is that you are able to use portable ones as well. You could also use wall mounted units and this would be a great space saver as well. These heaters are focused heaters and are therefore meant for a particular area only and allows for fuel savings.
Additional Information about the Ventless Gas Furnace
You should remember that even though the furnace is a great way to heat your rooms, it does have some drawbacks. It is important that you are aware of this even though this should not deter you from purchasing one and having it installed. You should take note that there are a few states that still does not allow the use of a ventless gas furnace. It would be best, though, to check with your state authorities whether you are able to install one of these furnaces in your home. You could also check with the ANSI Z21.11.2 standard as these products go through rigorous testing processes. It might not be a problem any longer as the safety of these furnaces have been significantly increased by the added benefit of the oxygen detection safety (ODS) pilot system and an automatic shut-off valve.
The aesthetics of the ventless gas furnace has to do with the flame. Traditionally the flames were always blue, but recent inventions have allowed gas heaters to be able to burn yellow flames. Even though the flame is yellow it could still maintain its clean burning.
This is actually the first thing you need to do and that is to have it installed by a professional. This will make sure that you would also be given a thorough run through of its maintenance and care that you should be taking. Aspects to note are:
- That there is the danger of asphyxiation, especially if your home is well sealed you could have depletion of oxygen.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning, as there is some minute amounts of carbon monoxide released and this can build up over time. If you are not careful these levels can become dangerous over time.
- The fact that the ventless gas furnace creates water vapor as well and this means that there is a higher humidity than usual. It will create mildew and mold, which can also be a health hazard. However, check with the manufacturer as studies have shown that many of these units do not generate enough vapor to cause mold growth.
However, taking good care of your furnace as well as making sure that you ventilate your home regularly would overcome these problems. Make sure that you follow all the safety precautions and guidelines and there should be no problem. It is also important to know that this system would far outweigh an open fire place as well as any other conventional heater. Some of the furnaces would also have an automatic shut off switch if levels of oxygen become depleted below what is normal. This is what is called an oxygen detection safety (ODS) pilot system. It is an automatic shut-off valve that would stop the flow of gas if the pilot is extinguished or the gas flow is interrupted in any way. The pilot burner is also oxygen sensitive so that it regulates flame characteristics.
The cost of any ventless gas furnace would depend on the size, the model and what features it has. Hence, what you would pay for it would depend on what your choice is. You should also take into consideration the size of the room for which you would be purchasing the furnace. The cost of these furnaces could range between $80 and $1,141. This would exclude the installation and you do need to get in a professional to install it for you. The ventless gas furnace is a low cost heating system and many people have opted to purchase it for that reason. Many also purchase it for the fact that it is environmentally safe.
When you do purchase one of these furnaces you should compare Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) ratings, so that you get the most efficient heater for the price you want to pay.
Installing a Ventless Gas Furnace
As mentioned before, the best way to make sure that you are safe with your gas furnace is to make sure that:
- The appliance is professionally installed and serviced
- You are careful with the distance from any combustibles with regard your furniture, drapes, adjacent walls and any human activity.
- It is important that you do routine cleaning and maintenance as per the instructions of the manufacturer.
- It should therefore also be best if you make use of a professional to clean your product, as it is critical that the logs are reset to its precise position relative to the burners as per the manufacturer.
There are more positive aspects for you to consider purchasing a ventless gas furnace as this would be a way of saving as well as being worm and cozy during cold winters. It can be utilized as a back-up system to your usual central heating, which makes it very convenient.