It is also the best way to save on your utility bill. Most homes, if not all, in the country, make use of these furnaces. One thing you should do, if you have purchased a new home, is to check if the furnace is working properly or if it does not have one, to have one installed.
How Home Gas Furnaces Work
The home gas furnace is a better alternative to any other source of energy which includes electricity. This makes it a much more popular way of heating or cooling your home. This would depend on the type of furnace you purchase, the price and its size. The furnace works in this way:
- The heat is generated by heating air with a direct flame that is fueled by natural gas.
- The flame is turned on by an igniter.
- This occurs immediately when the temperature drops below the setting of the thermostat.
- It pulls the air into the heating chamber.
- Once the flame has heated the air a blower pushes warm air out, and pulls cold air through return ducts in each room.
- This will then created a circulation of warm air in the home and the removal of cold air.
You would also find that some of the furnaces might have adjustable humidifiers. This will depend on the model you have.
Home Gas Furnace Advantages
The best part of these furnaces is that they are:
- Much more environmentally friendly as the fuel burns cleaner than any of the other fuel types.
- Much more efficient which is highly rated in that it has an average of ninety percent AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency).
- More conducive to use less fuel to heat the air.
- That the examples here, in terms of its efficiency and its environmental impact, give it a ten percent less waste and ninety percent of heat generated.
You would therefore not need a chimney for the heated air and fumes to escape, which would make the cost of installation less as well. You would also be paying much less for the gas than you would for any other
Home Gas Furnace Prices
The price of any home gas furnace you would be looking to purchase would depend on the size, the make and the model. Some other factors to take into consideration when you purchase a gas furnace:
- The fact that you have to consider what it would cost you to buy the unit and what it would cost you in the long-term.
- This means, in reality, how much you would be able to save.
- It is also a matter of realizing that this it is not a short-term but a long-term investment.
- You should consider to, therefore, spend a little extra on a home gas furnace that would last you a very long time. This is especially if you are planning on living in your home for a lifetime.
You would probably spend more on a gas furnace than with any alternative fuel furnace, but it is about what you spend in the long-run. These furnaces do not come cheaply, but the cost would also include the installation.
The prices you would or could be looking at are for low-to-moderate efficiency systems or high efficiency gas furnaces. The cost for the low-to-moderate efficiency systems could cost between $1,700 and $5,000. The cost of high efficiency gas furnaces could be between $4,000 and $12,500. This would include the installation fees as well.
The pricing could also be influenced by the fact that you are installing it for the first time, upgrading or replacing an older system. It would also depend on whether you have done renovations, which would mean that you need to add or replace the ducts. Mentioned below are a number of manufacturers and their brands. This too would influence the pricing of the unit.
The Basic Choices
You are able to choose from a number of brands. The easy part is that there are a few major manufacturers, each with a number of brands from which to choose. These are:
United Technology with brands such as:
Goodman with brands such as:
Other brands include:
- American Standard
What Size Furnace Is Required?
The choice of a home gas furnace is easy especially if you know what it is you want. However, there is one very important aspect to take into consideration and that is to determine the size of your home. This will dictate the capacity of the furnace you would need.
The importance of choosing the size of a furnace is to generate heat (or cold) with the emphasis on comfort. Hence, you would be required to, for example, make use of a much smaller unit if you live in a small home. What you would need to consider is, for example:
- The fact that you would need to have the ducts installed. A bigger home gas furnace would mean larger ducts.
- If the furnace is too big, you would be wasting energy as you would be generating too much heat.
- The cycle of the larger unit would also have to turn on and off, causing wear and tear on the components and parts and you would therefore not save in the long-run.
Once you have decided on installing a home gas furnace, you should make sure that you call in a reputable contractor who would assess your home and would be able to give you the best advice on what to size to install. He would also therefore be the best person to install the unit for you.