Choosing a new gas furnace isn’t as hard as it may seem. While there are lots of choices in manufacturers you’ll find it easy to compare gas furnace prices and specifics about each one doing online searches.
Some of the bigger well known manufacturers of gas furnaces are Rheem, Trane and Goodman. It’s easy to find gas furnace reviews for each of these and many more. Compare the efficiency, costs and features of gas furnaces to help you decide which furnace suits your needs best.
The first question you need to ask yourself before going out and purchasing a new gas furnace is if you really need a new one; how old your current unit is, whether it can be fixed and upgraded. The rate of efficiency should be at the top of this list. You definitely need a new unit if your system is approaching the twenty-year mark. Most gas furnace problems start between years fifteen and eighteen years. The time to make gas furnace comparisons and purchase a new one is not when winter arrives. You don’t want to make a decision under pressure and just go with any gas furnace without knowing its features and benefits. There is no doubt that the price of a new high efficiency gas furnace will cost more, but choosing the right unit can save you money over the long run where you recoup the difference; so tackle this task as a mission and look at the features and benefits of different units from the above three manufacturers for the best high efficiency units, at the best price, and with the best benefits. The last thing you want is for the snow to start falling and you are stuck with a unit where the pilot lights flick on and off intermittently, or the heat in the house doesn’t spread heat evenly, or cold air blows through the house. You will spend cold hours in the house while waiting for busy servicemen who are attending to prospective buyers who have left things for the last minute.
Understanding Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency(AFUE)
AFUE is a recognized measurement used by the US Department of Energy and furnace manufacturers. This measurement helps homeowners determine the right measure of efficiency and consequently the best gas furnace for their home. Older gas furnaces have fuel utilization efficiency of about 65%; the higher the efficiency, the better. Today the government insists on a rating of at least 80%. What this means is that by replacing an old unit with one of high efficiency, you will immediately notice the even flow of heat in the house. What is more, the unit is noiseless, there is no rattling, and some of these have great features and warranties.
Factors That Affect The Gas Furnace Prices
Capacity – Btu(British Thermal Unit) is used as a basic measure of thermal(heat) energy. Gas furnaces used for residential purposes will range from about 40,000 Btu to 150,000 Btu, therefore the higher the Btu the more the higher the gas furnace prices. When deciding between similarly priced gas furnaces, you can compare the Btu’s of each furnace for a better gauge of performance.
Quality – Most manufacturers these days make different lines of gas furnaces, from a lower costing affordable range, to a higher priced top of the line range, making sure they offer a gas furnace for all price sectors. The gas furnace prices will be higher for the top line furnaces.
Efficiency – The efficiency is calculated by how much gas is turned into heat energy, this is reflected as the annual fuel utilization efficiency(AFUE) rating, the higher the gas furnace efficiency the lower your energy bill for heating. Gas furnace prices will be higher depending on the AFUE percentage.
Features – Various gas furnaces have many different features from single-stage, 2-stage, and modulating gas valves to variable speed blowers, communicating technology, and enhanced humidity reduction features.
- A gas furnace with a single-stage valve is either on or off. This system offers fast home heating as it burns at full capacity.
- A furnace with a 2-stage gas valve runs on lower capacity, which is between 65% and 70%. This lower capacity heating allows for more subtle heat increase and balancing, but on full capacity can offer a large boost in heating if required.
- The Modulating gas valves run between 25% and 100% capacity which produce just enough heat energy to keep the rooms temperature consistent. There is very little temperature fluctuation due to the continuous heating of the modulating gas valves furnace.
The more performance features the gas furnace has, the higher the gas furnace price will be. The single-stage valve gas furnace being the least expensive of the three options above.
|80%||variable speed blowers||$1150||$2470|
|95%||high efficiency gas furnace||$1640||$2880|
|95%||2-stage furnace variable speed blowers||$1870||$3620|
|98%||ultra high efficiency furnaces||$2430||$4820|
|Manufacturer||Furnace Only||Full System W/ AC/HP|
|Amana Gas Furnace||$2860||$3650|
|American Standard Gas Furnace||$3750||$6600|
|Bryant Gas Furnace||$2450||$5650|
|Carrier Gas Furnace||$4040||$7610|
|Coleman Gas Furnace||$3150||$4860|
|Goodman Gas Furnace||$2180||$3440|
|Heil Gas Furnace||$2600||$4350|
|Lennox Gas Furnace||$2550||$6100|
|Rheem Gas Furnace||$2200||$5150|
|Ruud Gas Furnace||$3150||$5950|
|Trane Gas Furnace||$3650||$6740|
|York Gas Furnace||$3220||$5660|
Tips to Guide You Make the Right Decision
- Know the meaning of saving when buying a unit. It is not only what you pay for the new unit, but what you don’t have to pay constantly fixing an old one. Look at the money you will not have to fork out during the lifespan of a new unit. Most follow-up gas furnace maintenance is required due to poor installation.
- Choose a reputable installer who is willing to explain the unit and can help you with calculation of the incremental annual savings of the high-end system.
- Check with friends and family and as ask whether they have any recommendations. Make sure the installer has experience with the particular unit you choose. Some homeowners make the mistake by thinking that they can save money by installing the units themselves. This is not recommended. First, they don’t have the knowledge, and, two the manufacturer will not honor a warranty if the unit is not installed by a professional. Installing a furnace in most cases requires repair or re-working of existing ductwork as well as an upgrade to an electrical panel. Even the AFUE rating of the best gas furnace can be affected if the ductwork is not in good order, meaning if it is rusted or has joints or seams that are split you can lose up to 30% of the heat you’re paying for.
Best Companies to Choose From
- In business since the mid-1920s, Rheem Manufacturing started out with a galvanising plant in San Francisco, and some years later entered the heating and air conditioning market. Respected for reliability, Rheem is an industry leader for heating, cooling and water heating solutions. Their products meet rigorous industry and regulatory standards and are routinely tested and certified by various government and third-party testing. Rheem has a range of high efficiency furnaces to choose from; the Rheem Classic Series, RGPP Series, RGPN Series and RGLN Series. Some of these units offer a 20-year warranty on the heat exchanger unit, as well as a 5-year warranty. A high-efficiency Rheem gas furnace generally is more expensive, but make up the difference by reduced costs over the long run. Ask your contractor whether the manufacturer of the brand you’re considering purchasing passes quality checks before leaving the plant.
- Goodman has been building quality heating equipment since 1982, and given its three-decade experience in the heating and cooling business, one can be assured that their heating systems meet the highest industry standards. Their units are installed by some of the most experienced professionals in the industry, and they have the best warranties. The GMVC95 gas furnace, for instance, has an up to 96% AFUE performance with multi-position installation two-stage, variable speeds with ComfortNet, and is covered by one of the best warranties in the indoor home comfort industry. In addition to covering the heat exchanger with a Lifetime Limited Warranty to the original registered owner, if the heat exchanger fails during the first ten years, it will be replaced for as long as you own your home.
- Trane has a logo that says “Reliable gas heating for gentle warmth and cleaner air”, and whether it is a bit of gentle warmth you want in the early fall, or high-performance heat you need in the dead of winter, the XV90i furnace provides two stages of energy-efficient warmth and a built-in Trane CleanEffects technology for the most advanced air filtration on the market. It provides noiseless, comfortable, even heating and a consistent flow of warm air. They also have Trane CleanEffects for advanced air filtration which removes dust, pollen and other irritants for a cleaner, healthier, more comfortable home.